Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Month 7 - Advanced Entertainment Law


Month 7 was Advanced Entertainment Law with Cassie Willard. Our Leadership Portfolio Assignment for this class was to interview an entertainment attorney in the industry. In November 2010 I was watching an episode of "American Greed" featuring the infamous Lou Pearlman who is from the Orlando area. I saw a clip featuring the Prosecuting Attorney, Clay Townsend, who represented the Backstreet Boys versus Lou Pearlman and Google'd his name. I found out that his office was located here in Downtown Orlando, so I e-mailed Mr. Townsend to set up an interview.

I interviewed Mr. Townsend back in December 2010 in a large conference room located in his office building Downtown.  I asked him a number of questions about his past experience in the industry and various things pertaining to law.

From this interview I learned a great deal about contracts and how beneficial it is to broaden my knowledge of law. Mr. Townsend suggested that I talk to various attorneys or law students so I can ask questions and be more knowledgable on various law subjects. Another great piece of advice was to read past cases so that I can be exposed to different outcomes and understand how different laws apply. Along with past cases, I plan to read contracts so that I am more familiar with the language and can draft my own contracts up in the future.

Mr. Townsend has past experience in the venue and restaurant industry, therefore he also had some great advice for my business plan.  He warned me that I need to be ready to have a lot of management and be willing to work very long hours.  He also stressed the importance of a good team as they will hopefully help my business run more smoothly.

I was very happy with this Leadership Portfolio Assignment as it inspired me and helped me connect with a great industry contact.  I hope to stay in touch with Mr. Townsend as he and his stories were very motivational and has had some great experience in the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment