Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Month 8 - Entertainment Media Publishing and Distribution

Entertainment Media Publishing and Distribution with Kim Craft was my Month 8 class. This month we were to focus on a piece of work that we would want to publish and distribute in the future.  Since I did not have anything that I was currently working on, I took a different approach to this class. I played the role of a manager for my friend, Katelynn Smith, who is writing a book. I used her book idea, which focuses on her battle with Lyme Disease, as my platform for the class. Through different assignments I discussed the process and steps I would take to publish and market it as Katelynn's manager.

The Leadership Portfolio Assignment for this class was to write a formal business strategy in which I describe the process of how myself and Katelynn will self-publish, promote, distribute and merchandise this piece of print media. The name of the book is "Living The Lyme: America's Betrayal of Youth Suffering From Lyme Disease".  The business strategy included these sections:
  • Mission Statement
  • Executive Summary
  • Company Description
  • Production Description
  • Manufacturing and Distribution
  • Marketing and Promotion
  • Conclusion
This assignment taught me a lot about self publishing and really opened my eyes to different aspects of the entertainment industry.  I have not always been the creative one but love what goes on behind the scenes; therefore artist management has always been a career interest of mine.  Before this assignment, I focused mostly on the sports and music parts of the industry.  However, this assignment opened my eyes up to different artists and their pieces of work that need managing.  After putting things down on paper and seeing the idea come to life it really inspired myself and Katelynn to start moving forward with this idea.  I learned more about playing the role of a manager and helping the talent put together their work.  The manager gives that extra push when it comes to putting the logistics of documents like this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment